The Treat and Reduce Obesity Act, or TROA, was reintroduced into the 117th Congress by Senators Tom Carper (D-DE) and Bill Cassidy (R-LA) in the Senate and Representatives Ron Kind (D-WI), Tom Reed (R-NY), Raul Ruiz (D-CA) and Brad Wenstrup (R-OH) in the House, respectively. Now, it’s time to strengthen the bill’s Congressional support and urge legislators to co-sponsor TROA and push for the final passage of the legislation.
How can you help? Keep reading to learn more and TAKE ACTION!
Key Facts About the Treat and Reduce Obesity Act
- TROA would expand Medicare coverage to include screening and treatment of obesity from a diverse range of healthcare providers who specialize in obesity care. The bill would also include coverage of FDA-approved medications for chronic weight management. Specifically, TROA will (1) Expand Medicare benefits for intensive behavioral counseling through community-based programs and additional types of healthcare providers, including: dietitians, psychologists and specialty physicians. (2) Expand coverage of FDA-approved prescription drugs for chronic weight management.
- This bill is important to ALL Americans as health insurance companies model their covered health benefits to reflect coverage to Medicare beneficiaries. That means that passing TROA can lead to increased obesity care coverage to all Americans.
- Passing this legislation is especially important as we continue to battle the COVID-19 pandemic. Obesity, especially in the presence of COVID-19, must be both prevented and treated. Those either currently living with obesity, or at risk for developing obesity, and are ready to address their health, should have expanded access to both prevention and treatment avenues.
- Frequently Asked Questions about TROA
- TROA Fact Sheet
- TROA Budget Impact Analysis
- Letter to House Leadership
- Letter to Senate Leadership
Take Action Now!
Help us increase support for TROA by urging both of your Senators, as well as your House of Representatives member, to cosponsor and support the final passage of this legislation!
Just use our easy automated message generator below to get started. Legislators also want to hear directly from their constituents, so we strongly encourage you to add your personal story to help them better understand the need for greater access to critical obesity treatment tools. Our system will also automatically generate a thank you note if your legislator already supports TROA.