Resources for Policy Makers
- What is OCW?
- Covid-19 Fact Sheet
- What is Obesity?
- Why It Makes Sense to Include Bariatric Surgery as an Obesity Treatment Option
- Access to Care
- Why Does Weight Bias Matter?
- OCW2022 Weight Bias and Childhood Bullying
- Medical Weight Management Fact Sheet
- Benefits of Treatment
- Patient – Starting the Conversation
- HCP – Starting the Conversation
- Treat and Reduce Obesity Act (TROA) of 2021:
- House of Representatives (H.R.1577): https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/1577
- Senate (S.596): https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/596
- (Dr. Dietz) STOP Obesity Alliance materials can be found on their website: https://stop.publichealth.gwu.edu/
Weight Bias Resources:
- (Dr. Stanford) Harvard Weight Bias Implicit Association Test (IAT): https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/selectatest.html
- (Patty Nece) Obesity Action Coalition (OAC) Stop Weight Bias guide: https://stopweightbias.com/
- (Capt. Blanck) CDC Resources:
- Obesity Maps: https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/prevalence-maps.html
- COVID-19 and Obesity (including Racial/Ethnic Minority Data): https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/obesity-and-covid-19.html
- State and Local Obesity Programs: https://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpao/state-local-programs/index.html
- COMMIT (Childhood Obesity Management with MEND Implementation Teams): https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/initiatives/commit/index.html
- (Dr. Ryan) OECD – The Heavy Burden of Obesity: The Economics of Prevention (PDF)
- (Dr. Dietz) Better Diet Quality in the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act and WIC Package Reduced Childhood Obesity: https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2021/03/01/peds.2020-032375
- (Patty Nece) OAC – Understanding Your Weight Loss Options (PDF)
- (Dr. Stanford) Obesity education in medical schools, residencies, and fellowships throughout the world: a systematic review (PDF)
- (Dr. Stanford) Facing Overweight and Obesity: A Complete Guide for Children and Adults: https://www.amazon.com/Facing-Overweight-Obesity-Complete-Children-ebook/dp/B07MC193TN
- (Dr. Dietz) STOP Obesity Alliance – Weight Can’t Wait guide for providers: https://stop.publichealth.gwu.edu/wcw
- (Dr. Dietz) Provider Competencies for the Prevention and Management of Obesity: https://www.obesitycompetencies.gwu.edu/
For the latest legislation that will change the way that we care about obesity, and provide better treatment options and coverage, click here.